Tuesday, November 13, 2012

And then I became annoyed...

I know I've vented about this a lot to my family (and poor Darren has heard more than his fair share of it), but I've still got some venting left to do.

I am having a baby.

Presumably, the baby will be born at a healthy weight and size.

One way or another, it will exit my body.

My chosen method of delivery is the age old way of going into labor and squirting that puppy out, sans epidural.

"OMG, are you crazy?!"

"You are SO going to change your mind!"

"Hahahahahahahahahahaha you've never had a baby before, have you?"

To any and all naysayers, I have this to say: I can't heeeear yoooou.

A little support would be nice?

Now, I don't remember who all has ever said anything like this to me, so if you are reading this and think you are guilty, don't get all embarrassed and think that I hate you. Remember, I have pregnancy brain, and hold no personal ill-will because I can never remember who actually deserves it. So don't sweat it! =)

My grudge is against the you-can't-do-it mentality.

Reasons I feel like birthing without an epidural is the right choice for ME:
  1. It feels the most natural and complication free. I have a lifetime of avoiding medicine at most costs, so that isn't new to me.  I tend to ride headaches out and always have. Typically medicine is employed when it begins to interfere with sleeping (sleep is sacred). Even then I take the lower dosages available.
  2. Needles terrify me.  I don't care how many women have experienced an epidural and been just fine. I don't care how painless it is. I don't care how relieving it is. I refuse to cope with the idea of sitting still during labor, while a 20 ft long needle enters my spine with the object of deadening sensation, thereby removing my agency to move around or work with and through my labor pains. Thanks, but no thanks.
  3. I want the satisfaction of knowing I beat seemingly impossible odds. My grandchildren will probably never refer to me as being a great risk taker, but when a challenge strikes me hard enough, you can't stop me.  That is why I trained and complete my first half-marathon.  It was something I just needed to do to prove something to myself. Not to world, but to myself. If I had wanted to prove much to the world I would have tried to win that race, but I was racing myself.  It is hard to describe.  The notion of delivering naturally has hit me that same way, so believe me, I will be ready.
Granted, I know that birth plans don't always play out as desired.  I understand that. However, I am shooting for the optimal experience for me. That way I know that I will have tried.

I liken it to a wedding vs a marriage.  One is the kick-off, and even if the day doesn't go exactly as planned, there is no reason to let that cast a gloom over the marriage. I know that delivering a baby is just a beautiful glimmer in the timeline of that baby's existence. 

No matter how it all goes down, I will be happy to hold a healthy baby girl in a few months.


11 comments:

Emelie Leifi said...

Girl, I'm with you! The People talking don't really bother me, its the mentality! I have so many people talking negative here, too... and its tickin me off, too! I'm hearing "So much can happen between now and March" or "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" or "Yall could have a fight before yall get married and he could leave you." Yeah, he could... BUT we knows what's right for us!! We have our plan - we're willing to bend some as time goes on and LIFE hits us, but like you said, we're trying to make our experience good for us - not every one else! Okay, I've vented now, I feel better! Thanks... :) You got this!! Women have done it for thousands of years with no medication, so it is a 100% obtainable goal!! GO EMILY (& Darren, too)!!

Erin said...

I think you're brave. And yes, a little crazy :) But, this comes from a person who does pretty much anything to avoid pain. My sister decided on this route as well and has had three of her four without any pain medication. She says it's the way to go.

Oh, and for anyone who says epidurals don't hurt is a big, fat liar.

GO EMILY!

Emily said...

Thanks, guys =) (okay, I will admit it makes me a little crazy! Haha)

Jonathan Jeter said...

People would say similar things when I would mention that I wanted to go to medical school. I think that there is a part of the South East Texas culture that makes people want to discourage ambition. I do not really understand it.

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law had my nephew in a pool of water in her parents' living room July 1. No drugs, no doctors, just a midwife, her husband and most of the women in the family encouraging her. It's natural to not have drugs or schedule the delivery. Do what is best for you! Way to go!

I agree with your brother. To much negativity in the SETX collective culture. You can do anything you set your mind to doing. Go get it for you!

Kari McCallon said...

I'm with you Emily. When I have children I don't want an epidural either.
1. GIANT needle has no business anywhere near my SPINE.
2. What if they MISS? Yeah. No thank you!

You got this!!!!

Emily said...

AMEN! Keep that thing away...

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Meghan and Matthew said...

Do it DO IT!! Its 100% possible and if its what you really want, you will be SO glad you did it that way. The sheer pride you will feel for that baby girl will amaze you, and knowing you went without the "good stuff" is the closest thing to feeling like super-woman that I can imagine. GO EMILY!

Anne-Marie said...

1. I don't think my epidural hurt.
2. I felt a lot of what you are feeling before I had my first and I agree...it is more the attitude that you won't be able to do it that is draining. Ariane told me that she respected my desire to not have an epidural, but that she just wanted me to know that it was going to hurt more than I realized and not to feel guilty if I did. I really liked the way she told me
(turns out I needed her advice too, cuz I totally got the epidural!)
3. Love you and I want it to work out for you! Can't wait to hear your birth story.

Ange Bendixsen said...

It's a personal decision and you should be respected for the choice you make. We're planning on going natural as well (knowing that things may change if needed). It's challenging enough going into it as a first time experience without extra outside pressures. Stick to what your most comfortable with because it's your body and your decision.

Emily said...

Ariane is so smart...that really is good advice! Good way to put it.