Saturday, November 24, 2012

Our Weekends

1. Last weekend we went to Galveston for the 237th Marine Corps Birthday Ball.


This is just a snapshot of pre-sunrise Saturday morning from our hotel balcony.  The lovely view made up for  my semi-disappointment in the hotel room itself.  It felt like we were in a motel, and my bed at home is more comfortable. Boo on that.

The ball itself was alright...the ceremony was boring (per the usual), but still super patriotic and pride-inducing. I'm still basically Lydia Bennet when it comes to being in a room full of crisp and sexay military uniforms.  I swoon on the inside a lot.

2. The first three days of this week were horrendously busy thanks to our weekend away and a super full schedule.  Monday was spent baking pies for two of my customers after work and helping Darren finish a paper he had due at midnight.  We went to bed very late.  Then, Tuesday night I had an Arbonne party after work that lasted a while (friends from church, and we chat a lot...).  When I got home poor Darren was already asleep, and I still had pies to make for delivery on Wednesday.  It was obscenely late by the time I got to bed.  After work on Wednesday.......................I did nothing but keep my fat hiney on the couch.  I felt like I'd earned the right to be as humanly lazy as possible.

In case you don't know, any amount of extended awakeness and/or baking for a pregnant heifer is torture.  By the time I'm halfway through the process (and feel like I've rolled a hundred billion pie crusts) I feel as though I've had a massive workout.  My sides hurt, my breathing is for sure heavy, my legs feel like they are the size of those long rolls of ground beef sold at the store, and I am holding onto the counter at almost all times for support (mostly psychological...it just makes me feel better).

Even though Monday, Tuesday, and most of Wednesday felt like a three week stretch (to me), I have to admit I loved how the time Darren and I actually got to spend together was nothing but quality.  We basically only saw each other when he left for work and right before bed.  And for about 15 minutes before that Arbonne party.  He is very supportive of my money making attempts, and showed that by having the kitchen clean and ready for pie baking when I came home from Arbonne.  I nearly cried. Nothing says, "I love you" quite like knowing you have a long night of pies ahead of you and not having to start by washing any dishes.

So even though I felt like we weren't getting to spend much time together (again, those 2.75 days felt like weeks), the little moments and services to each other felt like something I could carry with me.

Sigh.

Okay, enough of the sap.....moving on.

3. My birthday was Thursday! I am 24 now! I'm hoping that this is the age when people will stop saying, "Oh, you're so young!".  Every year I think I've reached that year, but I am not holding out tons of hope.

4. Birthday morning began with the sleeping gods mocking my inability to easily get up on normal days.  I had to force myself to sleep from 6 to 8.  Thankfully, Darren saved me with a tasty breakfast and some gifts.

5. We have our Christmas tree up! It isn't 100% decorated, but it has lights and candy canes, so it's mostly there.  I love the magic a lit Christmas tree brings to a room.  It is so cozy.


No comments: