Sunday, December 21, 2014

Merry Christmas

'Tis the season for so very much!

In light of the fact that my blog shows me to be QUITE the whiner, I want to share a more uplifting post. I'm not always complaining... or maybe I am. I'm always wanting to, but do try to hold my tongue, so does that count? ;)

Being so heavily pregnant this Christmas is bringing my thoughts toward Mary like never before. I was heavily pregnant during Christmas two years ago, but I really don't remember feeling so emotionally bonded with her role in Christ's life. Maybe it's because I've since felt the pain of childbirth and the exhaustion of long months during which the needs of an infant ruled supreme. Maybe it's because I've had time to hold my child and cry over even the possibility of her future suffering.

Imagining even the most average life possible for my little Emma, I am terrified of the pains and trials she will face. I'm terrified at the possibility that her beautiful life could be cut short at any time. I feel that agony that comes with loving someone so much more than I love myself; someone so dependent on me and her dad for everything.

How on earth did Mary cope, knowing all that she knew? Knowing that she was raising, teaching, and preparing the Son of God to accomplish the single greatest act in all of our history? Knowing what she was going to have to see him endure?

How did she ever lay him down to sleep at night, knowing her time was limited and that she couldn't protect him from his future?

These thoughts, on a smaller scale, run through my mind on a regular basis during the quiet moments with my little girl. I don't know what kind of challenges my children will face, and I don't know for sure how I will prepare or protect them beyond teaching them to have faith in their Savior.

I'm grateful to Mary for the role she played in the Savior's life, because I know that the Atonement was completed for everyone, but most especially for my children. And I couldn't be more grateful.



If you haven't watched the  new video from the church, you really ought to. The greatest gift of all was that sweet little baby  in Bethlehem.

No comments: