Monday, September 16, 2013

Fried chicken

1. I made fried chicken and waffles for dinner tonight. I'm not sure what an actual connoisseur of soul food would think, but I tell you what: it sure fed my soul! Darren and I scarfed it down with wicked glee. No telling how thickly our veins run with Crisco tonight.

2. I am fairly certain that was my first time to fry chicken, and given that is was so successful I kind of feel like a rockstar.

3. Next time I will add more spice to my dry mix. It could have used more kick.

4. Emma has gotten into the habit of pinching the mess out of all my squishy flesh while nursing lately--so much so that I have several bruises. I have been diligently trying to train her away from this habit for the last two days, and I think it is going well. She is doing it less and less. I did thump her hand real good a couple of times (not in a row...like, 12 hours apart). The look in her eyes and the hurt I hear in her cry shreds my soul into a thousand pieces. I hate hurting her feelings. The plus is that she is more willing to let me hold her hand afterwards (something she fights when she is determined to pinch me), so I get hurt less. Yay for that.

5. My sweet baby rocks back and forth on her hands and knees a lot these days. It is only a matter of time!

That skirt. Love. 


6. Her smiles are captivating any time of day, but I have noticed that I have favorite smile moments:
  • When I cheer and clap for her because of something she did, whether she knows it or not and she becomes very proud 
  • Whenever I open the back door of the car after driving somewhere...it's like she's seeing me for the first time in hours!
  • Any time I go to her after she wakes up
  • Whenever I wrap her up in a towel following a bath
  • Her sleepy smile when I swaddle her up before putting her to sleep (she will very often interrupt wailing tears to smile when I roll her up for sleeping...it's weird)
  • When we are in public and I am semi-oblivious to what or who she is watching, but I catch her smiling up a storm for some lucky stranger
  • When she watches other kids play. She finds great delight in this

7. I have several projects going on these days. Besides wrastling a chunk-a-lunk in all that I do I am writing my life story (personal history for the win!), making preparations for a rag quilt (squares are cut, just need sewing!), pretending to keep my house clean (hahahahaahahahahaaaahahaha), and making plans to pack for our upcoming move (I have the calendar organized into Stages 1-3 ...we will not have a miserable moving experience, even if it kills me).

8. Emma has become much more accepting of Darren over the last week or so, and it melts my heart completely. I love watching them together. She smiles the biggest for her daddy, and he becomes the biggest sap when she wants his attention.

9. In addition to my "I want a house" frustration, the age old restlessness I felt growing up has kicked in. Will I EVER get to move away from this place? That remains to be seen. The answer has always been "no" every time I have tried (after high school, after that year of college, after that boyfriend, etc...), so I gave up trying and became happy (and then found my handsome hottie...swoon). Anyway, despite the happy times I've had the itch to get out has struck again. Darren recently told me that he would like to leave, and that's what resurrected my feeling of being trapped here. The answer is still "no", but maybe one day it will change to a "yes"!

10. I am rereading The Help. It really is a great book. 

No comments: