Monday, December 24, 2012

It's hard to win a battle of wits with a child

Scene: 
On the couch in my parents' living room.

Characters: 
Nathaniel, age 8; is tugging on the arm of the couch until the very last line
Uncle Darren, age 27; lounging on the couch like he is never going to get up again
Aunt Emily, age 24; lounging very similarly to Uncle Darren, but willing to move upon request

Nathaniel: Hey, can you get off the couch? I need to pull it out from the wall and get back there to get something.

Aunt Emily immediately pulls herself off the couch.

Nathaniel: Uncle Darren.  Uncle Darren!

Aunt Emily: Darren, he's trying to talk to you.

Uncle Darren (having been distracted by another conversation): Oh, I'm sorry, what do you need?

Nathaniel: I need you to get off the couch so I can move it.

Uncle Darren: You mean you can't lift it with me on it?

Nathaniel: No...

Uncle Darren: I can lift it with you on it.

Nathaniel:  Exhibits a very contemplative expression

Uncle Darren: Exhibits a very cocky expression

Nathaniel (with an air of total triumph and a huge grin, while walking away from the couch): Okay, you do it!

Uncle Darren immediately flew off the couch.


No comments: