Saturday, December 22, 2012

This post is whiny and not whiny. I apologize for your whiplash.

1. Good news! Darren will still get to play his X-box on Christmas since the world didn't end.  I foresee a very early morning for the Texas Browns next Tuesday...

2. And just for the record, I was totally on the pot when the appointed time for apocalypse passed. I can't think of a better way to have spent that moment.

3. Of course this means we have to pay rent next month, and I won't deny that there was a liiiiiiiiiittle part of me willing to make that trade.

4. I told him I wouldn't get all ridiculous and blog about this, but it turns out I can't stop myself: my baby daddy FINALLY felt the baby kick! After weeks and months of, "Put your hand right here! Now! Look, my tummy is dancing! Aaagh! Why does she stop moving right when you look or touch!", my efforts have finally paid off ( ;-) ). I do believe this will make me a slightly less needy baby momma when it comes to begging him to spend time trying to feel her move. I know this sounds weird, but in the moment I knew he had to have felt her (of course he refused to confirm or deny any alleged feeling for several minutes.....torture), it really became real. She isn't just this baby growing in my gut, but she is OUR baby.  She kicked HIS hand.  In a weird way I feel like their bonding process has officially begun, and for some reason that means so much to me. I know that the bond I feel with her is intense, and it feels as though it has always been there, but that is largely because she is inside of me.....and I can't escape her.  To quote Gloria from a recent episode of Modern Family, "I am always in front of the baby!". I cannot comprehend when or how bonding takes place or is supposed to begin for fathers.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that now that she has become more tangible to him than a massive belly on his wife, I can feel like she is real for both of us.

I cannot wait to see him be a daddy.

5. I was really hoping I could feel like this the whole pregnancy:


Not so.

6. I cannot wait to stop feeling so large, for the back and hip pain to take a chill pill, to stop bumping my tummy into people and things, to wear my wedding ring again, to stop hearing, "You're due when?? Are you going to go that long??", to roll over comfortably in bed again, to not have to get out of bed clutching my tummy because it feels like it will fall off if I don't, to not have to grunt like a constipated troll every time I put on my tennis shoes or my boots--slip on moccasin house slippers don't cut it for every occasion, to stop having to forego the boots because my ankles are too swollen, to stop feeling handicapped every time I need to get something out of a high or low place, to stop running out of breath or energy simply because I haven't paused to rest in 5 minutes, to stop having to gasp and hold my breath in public every time she does something unexpected--like arm wrestling my spleen, for instance.

7. I can wait for the end of all the congratulations, sweet looks, and sympathetic expressions I get from strangers.  I know I'd feel sorry for this:



My shirts have stopped covering the stretchy part of my pants too. Couldn't look sexier if I tried.

8. Don't get me wrong--I am nothing if not grateful for this opportunity.  But I can't pretend it isn't miserable a lot of the time.  And I hear it's only going to get worse from here on out.  I find that hard to imagine.

9.  I attribute most of my pain to this scenario:
She wants out.

10. And I'm going to have to clip those nails of her ASAPAB.

11. I missed the memo about a gift exchange at our work dinner last night.  I'm the best coworker ever! So I walked away with really awesome hair products, a Willow Tree statuette, and a small pile of freshly purchased and adorable baby outfits.

They got nothing from me. I'll make it up to them somehow. At least there are only 4 of them, and two are married, so I can wiggle that down to three.

12. Baby had an appendage stuck in my ribs while I was trying to sleep the other morning (very early morning).  The entirety of that dream involved me sitting on those uncomfortable church pews trying my very hardest to get comfortable even though I could feel her so squarely in my rib cage.  When I finally woke up and discovered it was true, the real, physical discomfort was almost enough to make me vomit. I flopped into a different position as quickly as I could and noogied her (through my ribs, of course) to encourage her to squirm into a better position.

13. 6 WEEKS LEFT AS OF TOMORROW! Time is flying.  And crawling.  Forget Houdini, time is a much more impressive magician.

14. I don't think I'm a nester.  Who wants to come fold all the baby clothes I have that need to be put away? And while you're at it, rearrange our dresser situation so that there is a place to put it all?

15. Despite our incomplete stockings and tree decorations (next Christmas we will have everything we want....the first newlywed Christmas is supposed to be ragtag, right?? =)), I love our little Christmas corner.



MERRY CHRISTMAS! 
Love, 
Darren, Emily, and Baby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, Elizabeth Banks character felt much as you describe feeling. Therefore, the phrase might be inaccurate that you thought you would feel like she did. Unless you're talking about size, in which case, I would suggest getting one of those support belt things. I've heard that they help quite a bit when you're carrying so far forward. But, as I have never been pregnant and most likely won't ever be pregnant, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Maybe they have a bra-like device that cinches around the waist with a band and then hooks over the shoulder with suspenders to help hold that bad-boy up. If they don't maybe we could invent one, and then we would be rich!!! All money and rent problems solved!!!!!

Happy Christmas!! I love your tree and stockings. It looks so.....grown up of you.