Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tonight's version of the conversation

Me, talking to Darren after a couple hours of wrestling and nursing our hyperactive and squirming baby who wants so desperately to fall asleep: 
"Here, she's all yours. I've done everything I can. Go make her sleep." 
Darren obediently takes the child to the bedroom where I hear that Emma's crying ceases within just a few minutes. He emerges semi-victorious since he was able to get her to sleep, but laying her in the pack n'play woke her up. We listen to her cry for a few minutes, and then she falls asleep. 
I try to talk again, wanting to tell Darren how sexy it is when he puts her to bed and that I really appreciate his taking the time to do so and give me a little break.  
He grits his teeth at me and speaks low and slow: 
"If.you.wake.her.up.you.are.in.so.much.trouble. She'll.be.yours.to.deal.with. WHISPER."
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what I like to call role reversal.  May he always remember the agonizing fear that the spouse who doesn't put the baby to sleep will stupidly wake the baby up.

No comments: