Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Burp cloths are too small, and other things

1.  I went to a baby shower tonight that had approximately 14 million guests.  Like, The Royal Wedding didn't have as many attendants.

2.  I gave a 100% homemade gift. Go me.  I normally show up to such functions empty handed (because I'm a cheapskate slimeball who spends her dollars on Chick-fil-A and diapers rather than stuff for other people).

3.  The gift I gave? I'm glad you asked.  I'm actually a little annoyed that the gift was even available to give, because as soon as I discovered it in the planning stages I was upset with myself for not thinking of it months ago for my own kid.  Alas, I will get over it.  I simply scavenged my drawers for those mostly useless receiving blankets that pregnant ladies receive and sliced them up to make burp cloths that are the right size, and soft enough to not scratch a baby's face off.  The blankets are already basically giant burp cloths anyway, since they are barely large enough to swaddle a hamster.

Just in case you are reading this and happened to bestow these blankets on me (I haven't the slightest remembrance of who gave them to me), don't think I'm not grateful.  I did use them when Wonder Baby was teeny tiny, but more for snuggling than swaddling.

In any case, they make great burp cloths.

4.  Speaking of burp cloths, has anyone ever noticed how ridiculously small those things are? As if.  Kari, if you are reading this and possibly wondering why I made yours so huge....the answer is simple.  Because they should all be that way.

5.  My Wonder Baby has an ear infection, and it is a pitiful sight to see.  She fluctuates between being the happiest kid on the planet to the saddest, whiniest, and snively little thing. It breaks my heart.  She received her first dose on antibiotics ever tonight.

6.  When I smelled her meds the little kid inside of me got excited.  I loved the taste of that junk way back when.

7.  I got an iPhone this weekend.  My reasons for choosing this device boil down to two: 1) I want to feel cool, and 2) the majority of my siblings and siblings-in-law use them.  Win-win.

8.  Some girl cousins of mine and myself held a girls' night this weekend at my place.  It was delightful! We talked about any and everything, largely inappropriate stuff.  We also went swimming.  It definitely needs to happen on a more regular basis.

9.  A woman called out to her mother at the shower tonight, and I turned around to answer.  I can't possibly tell you why since my only offspring cannot yet form the word, much less speak it with the voice of a full grown woman.

10.


That has to be the most winning smile I have ever seen on a baby.  Such a happy little girl! I love her to pieces.

2 comments:

Kari McCallon said...

Dear Emily,

Thank you for comparing my shower to the royal wedding. It made my day.

Also thank you for the burp cloths. The size is perfect, because I'm thinking the bigger the cloth the better my chance of not wearing whatever is coming back up. :)

Hope Wonder Baby starts to feel better soon!

Emily said...

Thanks! And yes, so true on the burp cloths. I had a much greater chance of down the shirt (the frickin inside of it!) spills when I used my smaller cloths. So gross! Haha