Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stuff I want to remember

This Saturday our little Emma Rosalie will be a month old.

Whaaat?

I'd like to say something sappy, like, "I can't believe time goes so fast", or "She's growing up before my very eyes".  However, my sentiments lean more towards declarations like,

"It's only been a month?! It feels like an eternity since I had her!"

Because seriously. It has.

I miss sleep that lasts longer than 4 hours.

It's pretty easy to get caught up in all the things about motherhood that, so far, I don't care much for, but I want this post to be about all the things from Emma's first month that I will miss when she is past these stages.

  • Those annoying sleep noises that I complained about previously.  They make me insane, but I know that one day I will miss them.
  • The way her ever-fluffy cheeks smash her lips into a pucker when she is laying on the side of her face
  • Kissing her fingers
  • Kissing her toes
  • Kissing her belly
  • Kissing her little mouth when she smiles in her sleep
  • The look on her face when the first cold wipe hits during diaper changes
  • The pathetic expression she wears when she is finally wrapped up warm in her bath towel and stops crying
  • The way her monkey arms sprawl everywhere, whether she's awake or asleep
  • The desperate way she nurses when she is really hungry (i.e. after those blessedly long naps) or when she's really upset (i.e. when she wakes up before I'm finished with my shower and has to lay there... not a happy baby)
  • The way she puts her hand on my chest when she is nursing
  • The way she kicks whatever touches her feet while she is nursing
  • Finding her sleeping with her blanket kicked off and her legs sprawled all about
  • Her deep sleep cuddles before I lay her back down after night time feedings
  • Her bedhead
  • The look on her face that is noticeably "pleased", even if she hasn't quite yet figured out how to smile on purpose
  • The way she always turns her head to face me when we nap together
  • Watching her try to raise her head during tummy time
  • The way she bobs her head up and down on my chest when she is trying to look at me but can't hold her head up for more than a second at a time
  • The sour face she makes when we try to put a binky in her mouth
  • How tiny she looks sleeping on Darren's chest
  • How tiny she looks in Darren's big daddy hands
  • How snuggly and sweet she looks when she first wakes up
  • The way she rips herself off the nursing spout sometimes and just lays there on my lap, totally unconscious, with milk trickling down all her chubby little chins.
  • Watching her lick her chops after I wipe the spit up off her face.
I hope I never forget these things. They sure make the cruddy parts worth it. We're totally besties.