Thursday, June 19, 2014

Go, go, go

I seriously, at this moment, do not think I could be any more tired than I am.

Let me tell you about my day...

I knew in advance that today would be exhausting. I was scared to face it, but all days end, no matter how tiring, right? Oh please be right.

We started by not getting much sleep the night before. That part I did NOT know about in advance. Emma woke up before I went to bed, complaining of some teething pains. Lucky for me, I developed some pretty funky nausea right about the same time, so we were quite a pair. She finally fell asleep completely (i.e. soundly enough for me to sneak out of the room...something I attempted about 6 times) around 2 AM. I was awakened at 5:55 this morning by what sounded like Spock trying to bust out of his gate. I hurried out to stop him because it was noisy and Darren's alarm was set for 6 o'clock. We all know there's nothing crueler than waking up right before your alarm goes off.

It wasn't Spock making all that racket, though he was wide awake. I threw my bedroom door open to see Emma at the end of the hall rattling the dog gate like a prisoner and giggling. I noticed a pile of toys at Spock's feet, evidence that a generous toddler was in the vicinity. I let Spock out and took Emma and her toys back to her bedroom, which, by the way, had been completely rearranged.

This all begs the question, "How long has Emma been awake?"

We'll never know.

Fast forward to play group. We went to the splash park. I knew being outside was a risk because NOTHING drains my energy faster than sunlight. I'm the opposite of just about every solar energy device.

When we got home I had an hour to get us showered, fed, and ready to run out the door to pick my grandma up for visiting teaching.

We had three appointments, and our team consisted of one old lady, one pregnant lady, one baby and an non-air conditioned vehicle. That's a lot of driving in the bloody, blistery heat, a lot of carseat action, a lot of trying to talk over the wind blowing in the windows, and a heck-a-lot of being thirsty. Also, a lot of trying to keep Emma from destroying the homes of the women we were visiting.

Oh, and NO NAPS FOR MOMMY.

All in all, my face feels like it has 5 pound sandbags hanging from my eyeballs and I've been craving Thanksgiving dinner for the last 24 hours.

Longest. day. ever.

----------------------------------------

In light of all my whining above, I just wanted to mention that Emma has been quite a dear so far tonight in that she fell asleep on the way home for a late visit to my parents', and stayed asleep for the transfer from car to bed. She woke up briefly a few minutes ago, but wanted nothing more than for me to snuggle her in bed. She's asleep again.

Easy bedtimes are like mini lotteries for me. I can't believe I won.

No comments: