Monday, August 5, 2013

My Sidekick



Our little Emma Rosalie is 6 months old! I know, I can't believe it either.

A compilation of things that make her who she is and why we love her:

  • her uber fluffy thighs
  • the fat rolls over her kneecaps and knuckles
  • her Jeter-y ears
  • her giant, gummy, open-mouthed smile
  • her gut
  • her eyes whose colors change so drastically with every outfit she wears
  • her short giggles (she has only belly-laughed a couple of times)...I melt
  • her clingy-neediness (hey, I like to be needed.......most of the time)
  • the look in her eyes when she is staring into mine
  • her absolute adoration for eating--she loves milk and solids
  • the way she "calls out" without crying from her bed
  • her pooping face
  • the delirious way she acts when she is tired
  • her ability to roll over
  • the way she smiles at Darren every time he accuses her of shafting him
  • she way she flounders so desperately on the floor when she is trying to crawl
  • the way she "jackrabbits" in our arms when she wants something we are holding out of reach
  • her cuddliness
  • the way she sprawls in bed when we fall asleep together--usually with one arm across my arm and her legs propped up on my thigh
  • her curiosity.  she will throw herself from our arms to reach something she wants to touch or chew on.  she wants to investigate every little thing that catches her attention.  crawling will be the death of me.
  • her sad cries.  the whininess makes me crazy, but at the same time it is such a unique and adorable sound that I know we are able to help resolve (or at least attempt to...she can be stubborn) 
  • the way she talks to baby videos, including videos of herself
  • the squeaky sounds, dinosaur growling, and choppy (not sure how else to describe it) sounds she makes when she is playing by herself or talking to us
  • her overall incredibly pleasant disposition.  she is a REALLY happy baby
  • her snobby expressions  when people talk to her
  • her flirty behavior when people talk to her
  • the way she is so easily startled--it's a little bit hilarious and sad all at once (I've made her cry a few times...)
  • the way she sucks her thumb
  • the way she sucks her thumb when she is tired and snuggling with me (it induces a whole different emotion for me, so I promise this isn't a duplicate bullet point ;) )
  • the way she plays with and loves her stuffed dog that we got for her before she was even born.  she even had it clutched close while she was nursing in bed last night. love.
  • the way she endures our never-ending kisses ;)
  • her jealousy when she notices that Darren and I are cuddling and she is being left out (she might be a little possessive of her mother...)
  • the way she sits on the floor at the entrance of the kitchen or bathroom when I am trying to cook or get my make-up done.  she just sits and smiles and talks and plays with whatever burp cloth I toss down to her.
  • the way she ferociously attacks everything when her gums are hurting her.  if it fits even a little bit, she will gnaw on it.
  • the way she refuses to hold on to binkies.  she loves to chew on them when her mouth is hurting, but only if I'm willing to hold it there.  otherwise the first distraction that makes her smile will send the little thing tumbling right out.  it is very cute and aggravating all at once.
  • the way she watches people and things.  the discovery in her eyes is so beautiful.

I could, literally, go on forever.  That girl is just a wonder to me.

As far as sidekicks go, I'm glad mine is so adorable and willing to be my little best friend.

Written by my own mom:
Great description of the real Emma. You left out the way she teases Darren with her arrogant, "I'll call you if I need you" look....And, last night, she was cleaerly tattling on you to him when you were holding Rachel. She repeatedly looked to him for back-up, expecting him to make you listen and behave. Good luck, baby. I know it comes as a shock to you, but mom and dad are on the same team, believe it or not!





I drew eyebrows on her. Teeheehee.





2 comments:

Holli said...

Emily, you have such a precious baby girl. The other day I was talking about the way that Petersens all look alike - you can always spot them. And, then it occurred to me that Jeters are the same way! You all look so much alike and Emma is no exception! :)

Emily said...

Thank you! And yes, she does look very much like a Jeter baby. I feel like she is such a perfect hybrid that sometimes she looks 100% Brown and other times she looks 100% Jeter. Most of the time I see my mom and Darren in her.

Aaaaand yes...Petersens can be spotted in an instant ;)